Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Adventures of Fist and C-B.O.N.E.

"Let the Call of Duty Leave a Message, part 1" - First published in issue #2 of Cartoon Mafia Comics' Tour Zine.








"Let the Call of Duty Leave a Message, part 2" - First published in issue #3 of Cartoon Mafia Comics' Tour Zine.







I couldn't find any of my original scans of these pages, so what you see here are scans of work prints or actual Tour Zine issues, so the quality could be better. Tour Zine was a little fan 'zine that a friend published (and I helped finance, as well as contributed other illustrations and articles) sometime between the years of 2003 and 2004. It was a pretty cool 'zine about "lot culture", - what fans do before and after a concert they attend. I was asked to contribute art and invited to tell a FIST story of five pages or so, whatever I wanted. So I adapted a story to fit the theme of the 'zine.

Now that a few years have passed and I look at the art and read the story, I have mixed feelings about it. Mostly, I'm happy with it, simply because it got made. I'm not so happy with some of the art that was very rushed and sometimes drawn straight with a marker. Knowing the audience, as well as the size of the 'zine (copy paper folded in half), I didn't put too much time into some of the panels. And, the story I came up with, trying to adapt the FIST universe into the theme of the 'zine, is not my favorite. However, it's the most completed story with these characters to date, and there are some things I love about it, so I want to finish it. We'll see.

One note about the previous post: The art you see there was published in Tour Zine #1 as an advertisement for the FIST story to be featured in issue #2. However, that page and its story have nothing to do with the story in the pages above. This is because it was created years earlier as an ad, or cover, for a completely different story. I have several finished and inked pages from that series that I may feature later. As I mentioned before, since college I've started several FIST projects that were all abandoned. That's why TZ was so successful (for 2 issues) because they were only five pages at a time with about three to six months in between. There were four issues of TZ in all (with a fifth that never got printed), but I cut out after issue three due to several unhappy complications associated with the work environment. Oh well. I look forward to hearing any comments you might have about FIST or his robot friend C-B.O.N.E.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home